A BRIEF HISTORY
In May of 2015 LouAnne Blanchard and Lois Dunikowski, Mission Ministry leaders at First Presbyterian Church of Washingtonville, NY, attended a presentation about Backpacks for Food (BFF) which provides needy students in the Cornwall Central School District with backpacks of food for weekends during the school year. They learned that this program was modeled after Warkwick Central School District’s program called Snack Attack. They heard about how the program works and relies on food donations, volunteers, and sponsorship as well as fundraisers. They were excited that day to have discovered the possibility of a community outreach program that might be needed in the Washingtonville Central School District (WCSD) where their church is located. In August 2015 a meeting was held with the Superintendent of Schools, Roberta Green, who suggested this program target Taft Elemetary School to begin and extend to other schools in the district when possible. The Country Kids Food Pantry, various members of the school community and several local churches sent representatives to this first meeting. The founders of Cornwall’s BFF program came to inform the group of how this is working for them. Several more meetings took place to organize the WWWF program. We were pleased to all be working together to serve our children and first sent home backpacks of food on October 16, 2015. Parents of qualified students must opt into the program to participate. Confidentiality will be strictly maintained.
- At the beginning of the 2016 school year the name of the program was changed to Food for Kids. We also began serving Little Britain Elementary School.
- In 2018 our organization was approved as a 501(c)3 non-profit, Food for Kids, Inc.
- Round Hill Elementary School has now been added to our program for the 2018-19 school year.
- The Washingtonville Middle School was added to the program for the 2019-2020 school year.
Currently involved in Food for Kids are the following
- Catholic Daughters of the Americas, Court St. Ann, Mother of Mary #2419
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church
- First Presbyterian Church of Washingtonville
- Bethlehem Presbyterian Church
- Taft School community and PTA
- Little Britain School community
- Round Hill School community
- Washingtonville Middle School
- Country Kids Food Pantry
- Grace Community Church
- Knights of Columbus Our Lady of Lourdes Council #5890
- The Country Store Thrift Shop
Several individuals from the community have also stepped up to be volunteers where needed.
Scout troops and school organizations have volunteered to do food drives and to help pack food for delivery to schools.
A copy of our most recently filed financial report is available from the Charities Registry on the New York State Attorney General’s website (www.charitiesnys.com) or, upon request, by contacting the New York State Attorney General, Charities Bureau, 28 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10005, or us at Food for Kids, Inc., 2 Fr. Tierney Circle, Washingtonville, NY 10992. You also may obtain information on charitable organizations from the New York State Office of the Attorney General at www.charitiesnys.com or (212) 416-8401.